What is the difference between double thick, clotted, whipping and cooking cream?
You are here:
The difference lies in the fat content of the cream, which can vary from 10 to 45% and determines what the cream is used for.
Read on for more info:
Cream is classified according to its milk fat content.
- Double thick or clotted cream contains more than 45% milk fat.
- Whipping cream (also called thick cream) contains 30–45% milk fat.
- Whipped cream has at least 25% milk fat, but less than 30%.
- Cooking cream (also called dessert cream) has at least 20% milk fat but less than 25%.
- Medium-fat thin cream, pouring cream or coffee cream has a milk fat content of 10–20%.